Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Dolmades! Oopa!

I love to cook. And I love to try to cook things I've only ever eatten out at a restaurant or elsewhere. This past weekend I decided to try my hand at Dolmades (Stuffed Grape Leaves).

I have been wanting to try them for a while but have been looking for a good recipe. This wasn't something where I just wanted to use Martha Stewart's recipe, I wanted a "grandma's" recipe. And I found one, or a YaiYai as the recipe said.

So I ground the meat, onion, one egg, lemon juice, mint, dill and parsley and added in rice.

 - Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum
It smelled MUCH better than it looked.

Then I boiled the grape leaves for a while to take out the vinegar taste from the jar.
 - Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum

Then as Christopher watched from his highchair eating dinner, I assembled.

The naked grape leaf.
 - Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum

With filling:
 - Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum

Roll the top down (with steam in)
 - Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum

Fold the sides in:
 - Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum

And roll up and I have a dolmades!
 - Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum

Many!
 - Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum

Then line in a pan with some chicken broth. I put plates on them to stop them from floating and unwrapping.
 - Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum

And... that's it for photos. They cook for two hours and it was late. They went in the fridge and I made a sauce for them the next day at Grandma and Grandpa's for Father's Day. They were a hit. I have a few things I'd change next time, but I'm told they were good.

No comments: