Thursday, July 22, 2010

Don't Feed the Animals!

So, when people post pictures of their 8 month old eating pureed whatever and the food is everywhere on the child, I think, why? You are the one spooning the food into their mouth. With Christopher, I'd hold the container and spoon the food into his mouth. He would, without fail, get some on his face and his hands, but nothing like some where it looks like the kid just took a bath in pureed carrots.

However.... when teaching a child to self feed, it's a whole other story. I'm a bit of a clean freak myself, I like things to be clean and in their place. Yes, difficult with a toddler, but even more difficult with feedings. I guess I've cleaned him up too many times "during" meals because now if his hands get too dirty (i.e., he just stuck his whole hand in his meal), he'll stop and say "mama, mama, hand" holding his hand out till I clean it. Oye, what have I done?? :)

So self-feeding. Is interesting, and at times, and sometimes I just have to let go. He needs to learn. He's great with self-feeding, he can use a spoon, he can use a fork. Some things he needs help getting on the fork, but instead of just picking it up and eating it, he picks it up, asks for help to put it on the fork, then puts that in his mouth.

So here are some photos of the result of learning how to self-feed.
 - Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum
Yeah, this isn't the worse it's been, but you get the idea.

I love the tongue out in this one. Like he's just got one piece to reach...
 - Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum

What? Do I have something on my face?
 - Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum

Yes, I think you have a second meal still on your hands!
 - Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum

mmmmm
 - Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum

Even through all that mess, a great smile.
 - Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum

No comments: